Bhoomithra Sena Club
Bhoomithra Sena Club is formed with support from Directorate of Environment and Climate Change, Government of Kerala. It aims at encouraging students to appreciate the environment and to react positively to environmental issues. The club organizes talks, seminars, painting competitions etc. on current environmental problems. The other activities include planting trees in the college campus and maintaining them, thereby strengthening the commitment of students towards environmental protection.
As a part of the celebration of the World Ozone Day, the Department of Civil Engineering initiated Bhoomithra Sena club in Marian Engineering College. The club was inaugurated on September 17th, 2018 by Prof. Dr. D. Thankamony, Retired Professor, College of Engineering, Trivandrum.
The office bearers of Bhoomithra Sena Club are:
Prof. Deepthi Dennison, Assistant Professor, CE
Prof. Pramod Raj T P., Assistant Professor, ME
Pradosh S Jayagopal (S7C1), Secretary
Mary Julie (S5C), Programme Coordinator
| Ansila S (S3C2), Treasurer
- The Bhoomithrasena Club of Marian Engineering College organized a seminar on “MANAGING PLASTIC POLLUTION: TACKLING THE SINGLE-USE PLASTIC (SUP) CRISIS” on 1st April 2022. The session was handled by Er. Dileep Kumar M, Program Director, CED and Er. Vivek, Technical Expert, Marine Litter Project, GIZ. The session was held in the seminar hall of civil engineering department, MCE and was attended by S8 civil students.
- The Bhoomithrasena Club of Marian Engineering College organized a technical talk on “ROLE OF BIOFUELS TO CREATE A SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT “on 14th January 2023. The session was handled by Dr. Jaganathan V M, Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology, Thiruchirapally. Dr. Jaganathan V M had explained how biofuels create a sustainable environment and related topics. The session was held online through google meet and was attended by around 60+ participants. All participants were provided with e-certificates.
- more photos and detaila are available in the Activity report 2022-23
- Inauguration of the activities for year 2020-2021 was held on 30th October 2020 by Dr. Samson A., Director of Academics.
- A technical webinar talk on “Urban Forest Management and Restoration using Geospatial Technologies” was delivered by Dr. Vinod T R , Program Director of Centre for Environment and Development(CED) on 30th October 2020.
- A technical webinar talk on “Rejuvenation and Conservation of Lakes” on 25th November 2020, was delivered by Priya K.L, Assistant Professor, TKMCE.
- Participated in the first online meeting for “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River” on 17th December 2020 on Zoom platform to discuss about the selection of volunteers and subsequent completion of the project.
- Participated in the second online meeting for “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River”on 18th December 2020 on Zoom platform to discuss about the site visit to sampling stations.
- Participated in the third online meeting for “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River”on 22nd December 2020 on Google Meet to discuss about the completion of DPR with the help of draft reports collected from PCB, RITES and KIIDC.
- The BMC of Marian Engineering College in association with Kerala Irrigation Infrastructure Development Corporation LTD (KIIDC), College of Engineering, (Trivandrum), Government Engineering College (Barton Hill), Mohandas College of Engineering & Technology (Anad) and Mar Baselios College of Engineering & Technology (Nalanchira) have tied up to undertake the project “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River”.
- The BMC of Marian Engineering College in association with KIIDC Ltd, CET (Trivandrum), GEC (Barton Hill), MCET (Anad) and MBCET (Nalanchira) organized a river walk on 9th January 2021 covering more than 10 sampling stations. The team visited sampling stations at Karakulam, Pathamkallu, Vallicode, Kallambara, Pazhakutty, Panavoor, Aryanadu Bridge, Thozhuvancodu Bridge, Peroorkada, Njaramoodu, Marnthoorkadavu, and Thiruvallam.
- The BMC of MEC in collaboration with UST have undertaken a CSR project “MIYA WAKI FOREST” at MEC, on a land area of 20 cents on 15th January 2021.
- Participated in the virtual workshop “Tie up Between Engineering Colleges and Water Resource Department of Kerala” on 19th January 2021.
- Participated in the meeting for “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River” on 22nd January 2021 on Zoom platform on which BMS Club of MEC have given the list of water quality tests, which can be carried at MEC.
- Participated in the virtual workshop “Tie up Between Engineering Colleges and Water Resource Department of Kerala” on 25th January 2021. The workshop had 3 different sessions namely Sampling protocols for water quality monitoring, Standard methods for the analysis of fecal coliforms and total coliforms in water samples and Standard operating procedures.
- Participated in the virtual presence of 10th level talks on the topic “Tie up Between Engineering Colleges and Water Resource Department of Kerala” on 28th January 2021 to discuss the progress of the project “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River”.
- The BMC team of 3 faculties and 3 students visited and collected samples from 6 sampling stations ie., Anadeswaram Balikkadavu, u/s and d/s of Aryanad bridge, u/s, d/s and source of Peppara dam on 4th February 2021. This was conducted as a part of “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River” by Bhoomithrasena Club and samples were quality checked.
- The Bhoomitrasena Club of MEC in association with UST, inaugurated the “MIYAWAKI FOREST” at MEC on 5th February 2021. Inauguration was done by Rev. Father Wilfred E.
- The Bhoomithrasena Club of MEC completed water quality checks like acidity, alkalinity, chloride, DO and BOD on 11/2/21 as a part of “Water Quality Analysis in Pollution Abatement and Rejuvenation of Polluted River Stretches in Kerala Karamana River” and gave water samples at KWA for testing remaining water qualities on 9th February 2021.
- A technical talk on “Introduction to Green Buildings for Young engineers” on 3rd June 2021 was delivered by Sreeganesh V Nair, Chief Consultant, GTCS, Kochi.
- Organized a motivational talk on “Eco Clubs : Green Crusaders of Environmental Stewardship” on 5th June 2021. The session was handled by Rajesh Gopinath Nair, Associate Professor, BMS Institute of Technology & Management, Bangalore.
- Organized a technical talk on “Carbon Footprint : Our Responsibilities” on 21st June 2021. The session was handled by Dr. Shmina Monoharan, Assistant Professor, BMS Institute of Technology & Management, Banglore.
- Organized a technical talk on “Plastic Waste Management – An Integrated Approach” on 26th June 2021. The session was handled by Er. Ramya A G, Kerala State Pollution Control Board.
More details, photos and pictures of events is available in the Detailed ACTIVITY REPORT.
- The Bhoomithra Sena Club participated in “Suchitwa Sangamam 2020’ organized by Haritha Kerala Mission, an initiative by Govt. of Kerala in association with Suchitwa Mission on 21st January 2020 held at Suryakanthi ground, Kanakakunnu, Trivandrum. The Bhoomithra Sena Club members attended the lectures pertaining to modern methods of waste disposal and eco-friendly alternatives to plastics. The students also visited the exhibition set up by various govt. and non-governmental organisations.
Visit to Exhibition organised by Haritha Kerala Mission
- “ONE STUDENT ONE TREE” Bhoomithra Sena Club initiative to plant trees in college premises was inaugurated by Dr. S Narayanan (HOD, Department of Civil Engineering) on 30th August 2019.
Planting tree sapling for a greener earth
- An Intercollege General Quiz competition ‘Jalnix’ in observance of World Water Day celebrations on 22nd March 2019 was organized by the Club.
Quiz competition ‘Jalnix’ conducted as a part of the World Water Day celebrations
- Bhoomithra Sena Club organized an expert talk by Mr.Pramod P.P, IFS, Conservator of Forests (SA & NO) and Director of Ecotourism in observance of ‘World Forestry Day’ on 21st March 2019.
(i) Expert talk by Mr.Pramod P.P., IFS on ‘World Forestry Day’ (ii) Principal presenting memento to Mr.Pramod P.P
- In observance of World Forestry Day, Bhoomithra Sena Club organised an inter school painting competition with the theme “Forest of My Dreams” on 21st March 2019.
AraNya’, Painting competition for school students organized by Bhoomithra Sena Club
- A poster Designing competition, “ANAHITA” for Marian Engineering College students was conducted by Bhoomithra Sena Club on 21st March 2019, with the theme ‘Water and Life’.
Prize winner of ‘ANAHITA’, Poster Design Competition
- The planting of saplings in college campus was held as a part of Bhoomithra Sena club activities on 7th January 2019. Very Rev. Msgr. Wilfred E (Manager), Prof. Tomy Michael (Director), Dr. Ruby Abraham (Principal) and Rev.Fr. Reny Rudolf (Bursar) led the planting of saplings.
Planting of seedlings in the Civil Engineering Department
- An environmental field trip was arranged for club members of VII semester on 4th November 2018 to Kollakal Thapovanam, 4.5 acres ancestral property transformed artificial dense forest owned and maintained by Smt. Devaki Amma, recipient of Indira Priyadarshni Vrikshamitra award and her daughter Prof. D.Thankamony, Retired Professor, CET.
(i)Field Trip to to Kollakal Thapovanam (ii)Prof D.Thankamony, interacting with students