The commencement of various students’ Chapters under IGS Thiruvananthapuram was officially announced during the 2nd Biennial Commemorative lecture in memory of Prof. T.S. Ramanatha Ayyar on 17th February 2018 at CETAA Hall, College of Engineering Trivandrum. IGS Student Chapter of Marian Engineering College was officially inaugurated on 14th March 2018 by Dr G. V. Rao, former Head of the Department, IIT Delhi. The Chapter aims to give exposure to technological advancements and professional careers in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering and also aims to develop and promote leadership skills of students through activities such as seminars, workshops, lectures, industrial visit.
The office bearers of the IGS-MEC Student Chapter are:
1. Prof. Rani V., Associate Professor, CE
2. Prof. Kannan K., Assistant Professor, CE
1. Maneksh A Rajan (M4GT), President
2. Tinu Krishna S (S8C1), Vice President
3. Megha V (S8C2), Vice President
4. Hemna Cruz (M4GT), Secretary
5. Naarah Miriam Vincent (M4GT), Treasurer
- Inauguration of IGS student chapter Marian Engineering College for the academic year 2021 – 2021 was conducted on 12th October 2020 by Very Rev. Msgr. Wilfred E.Manager, Marian Engineering College.
- An expert talk on “RESILIENCE – TECHNICAL AND PERSONAL” by Nanma Gireesh (Aluminus & Co. Founder Nest Abide) was organized on 12th October 2020.
- An expert talk on “YOU CAN START UP – A TECHNICAL APPROACH TO START BUILDING” by Er. Roopak (Aluminus), Senior Design Engineer L&T Chennai, on 16th October 2020
- An expert talk on “HEALING SPACES IN BUILT ENVIRONMENT” by Dr. Binumol Tom, Dean, UG Studies, RIT Kottayam was organized on 19thOctober 2020.
- A 5 day workshop on “SOFTWARE TRAINING ON PLAXIS” for faculties M. Tech and B. Tech final years was conducted on 27th, 28th, 30th, 31st, of October and 2nd of November 2020. The session handled by RAM CADDSYS Pvt. Ltd, Chennai.
- An expert talk on “ESTIMATION OF AN FPSO EPCI PROJECT” by Mr. Vino Philip, Senior Project Control Analyst MODEC International INC, Houston, Texas, USA on 6thNovember 2020.
- An expert talk on “A CIVIL ENGINEER CAN BE A CIVIL POLICE OFFICER” by Er. Ajeesh S. A, Civil Police Officer, Cvivil Engineer in Building Section, Police Headquarters, Vazhuthacaud was organized on 7th November 2020.
- An expert talk on “CHALLENGES OF YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS” by Er. Akhila Sylvester (Aluminus), Interior Designer, Divine Creators was organized on 13thNovember 2020.
- An expert talk on “UNDERGROUND CAVERNS” by Er. Pravin Muley, Tunnel Engineer, ARCADIS, Singapore on 27th November2020.
- SYMPOSIUM ON HIGHWAY INFRASTRUCTURE & TSR LECTURE was conducted on December 1 – 5, 2020 supported by TC202, ISSMGE.
- Quiz up 2020, Inter School Science and GK quiz were conducted on 28th February 2020. The team from Govt HSS Pallithura secured I position in the event.
Quiz up 2020, Inter School Science and GK quiz
- IGS student chapter organized an expert talk on “Basics of Making Quality Concrete and Introduction to Green Concrete Concept” by Mr. Shyam Kumar Syama Prasad (CEO & Director, CETARC Pvt. Ltd.) on 4th Feb 2020.
Students, faculty & Director with Mr. Shyam Kumar Syama Prasad
- An expert lecture on “Professional Excellence” was held on 28th January 2020. The session was handled by Er. Sreekanth APV, Executive Director, Arcadis Asia.
Interactive session with Er. Sreekanth APV
- As part of QURIO’19, IGS Student Chapter organized technical events ‘TRIWIZARD QUIZ”, Science and GK Quiz, “EXPECTO PATRONUM”, Treasure Hunt, “MOCKTOBER”, Mock Interview Competition, “BUILD IT UP”, Tower Building Competition and “I AM SMARTICUS”, Situation Management Competition for school students on 23rd November 2019.
Prize winners of “BUILD IT UP”, Technical event conducted as part of QURIO’19
- An industrial visit to Geotextile factory, Neyyatinkara Padmanabhapuram Palace, Thuckalay and Floating structures at Poovar Island Resort was conducted by the IGS Student Chapter on 2nd November 2019.
M.Tech students at Padmanabhapuram Palace
- Industrial visit organized by IGS Student Chapter of the department on 25th October 2019 to UPS, Ambalathara helped the M.Tech Geotechnical Engineering students to gain a field exposure to SPT and Piling Work. The students were guided by Dr. Jaya V, HOD, and GEC Bartonhill.
Tech students at Govt. UPS, Ambalathara
- IGSMA 2.0, a quiz event was organized by IGS Student Chapter conducted prelims on 28th August 2019 and mains on 3rd October 2019 in the Civil Engineering Department.
IGSMA 2.0, Technical quiz organized by IGS Student Chapter
- IGS organized an industrial visit for III, V, VII semester B.Tech and M. Tech students to Vizhinjam Harbour and Kerala Soil Museum on 2nd September 2019.
(i) Industrial visit to Kerala Soil Museum (ii) M.Tech students and faculty with officials at Vizhinjam Harbour
- The IGS Student Chapter in association with the Department of Civil Engineering organised National Conference on Innovations in Civil Engineering (ICE 2019) on 11th and 12thApril, 2019.
- IGS organized an industrial visit for VIII semester and M.Tech students to Kerala Soil Museum, Parottukonam and Floating structure at Poovar Resort on 27th March 2019.
Industrial visit to Floating houses, Poovar
- IGS organized an industrial visit for VI semester and M.Tech students to Reinforced earth wall construction, Muttathara, Oceanos Under Water Expo and Greenfield stadium, Karyavattom on 9th February 2019.
(i) Students and Faculty at Greenfield stadium (ii) Students and Faculty at Muttathara site
- R. Shivasankar, Professor,NITK, Surathkal gave an expert lecture on “Fundamentals of Soil Behaviour ” for IGS student members on 9th February 2019.
- R. Shivasankar’interactive session with IGS student members
- IGS organized an industrial visit on 6th November 2018 to Jadayu Earth’s Centre and Waste Treatment Plant and Landfill, Attingal for M.Tech and VII semester students.
Industrial Visit to Jadayu Earth’s Center
- IGSMA 2K18, a quiz event organized by IGS Student Chapter conducted prelims on 15th September 2018 and mains on 3rd October 2018 in the Civil Department.
IGSMA 2K18, Technical quiz organized by IGS Student Chapter
- The IGS Student Chapter in association with the Department of Civil Engineering organised National Conference on Innovations in Civil Engineering(ICE 2018)on 16th and 17th march, 2018.
- IGSMA 2018, an intra college quiz in October 2018.
- Industrial visit to Jatayu Earth Centre at Chadayamangalam, Kollam and landfill at Attingal municipality for final year B. Tech. and M. Tech. students of the department.